Saturday, January 21, 2012

Featured Artist Interview: Dela Cruz

A New Way

Lace9: So first things first... Where do you hail from and where are you located now?

Dela Cruz: I was born in Baja, Mexico. Lived there for 10 years, then moved to Puerto Rico for 11 years, then Florida for 10 years, and in July of 2011, I moved to San Francisco.

Lace9: Did you study art academically, if so where? If not how long would you say art has been a serious passion for you? Tell us a little about your early days as an artist.

Dela Cruz: I taught myself how to paint. I have been "professionally" painting for 2 and a half years. I've been drawing since I was little, usually with pencil and pens. I made my first painting at age 16 with my mom's ceramic paints. She thought it was a good painting.

The Choice

Lace9: What medium (graphic design on computer/paint/pencil, etc...) do you work in?

Dela Cruz: Lately I've been only painting with acrylics, but I'm feeling the itch to go back to oil.

Lace9: For those seeing your work for the first time, how would you introduce your art? What genre does it generally fall into? Are there any overarching themes that you would say are prevalent?

Dela Cruz: Vibrant. Bold. Beautiful.
I guess it falls in the surreal genre, or Pop Art. I'm not sure.
Overarching themes in the paintings are of our connection with the world, nature, the cosmos, and the human condition.


Migration
Lace9: What artist or art are you most inspired by? Where else do you get your ideas from?

Dela Cruz: Dali, Alex Grey, Mucha, Scott Scheidly, too many.
I love art that's well made, that you can feel the artist devoted his life to perfect his craft. That is the path I'm following. Most ideas come from recent worldwide events. The problems and issues we are facing to save this planet. Most of the recent pieces have a lot of wildlife in them, as well as galaxies and destruction. Also, sleepless nights can make you very creative too.

Lace9: What single piece of art equipment can you not do without? (pen, pencil, charcoal, etc), and why?

Dela Cruz: My 7050 Script brush. It does a lot! line work, detail, signatures, I love it.
Earth Perspective 2

Lace9: Where can people find/buy your art?

Dela Cruz: You can view my work at DelaCanvas or on Facebook. Message me if interested in any piece that is available. Most prices are listed.


Almost There
Lace9: Which of your works is your personal favorite? And why? What can you tell us about it?

Dela Cruz: One of my favorites is the piece "Almost There". It was completely drawn and painted from imagination, except for the manekin that I used. I just love how it came out, I love the dimension in it, I love the message of us painting a picture within a picture. And the title is right on.

Lace9: If you had to pick out one thing - What difficulty have you overcome as an artist & what would you say to other artists going through similar?

Dela Cruz: Being able to support myself with art. It took me a while, but I'm learning so much and progressing in skill because I have not stopped painting for the past 2 years.
The advice I would give to other artists would be to paint or do whatever you LOVE everyday. To recognize you and I will make a ton of mistakes. But embrace the mistakes and accidents. And to teach yourself to love the craft that is ART. Be relentless.

Lace9: Is there anything else you would like people to know about you?

Dela Cruz: I'll go into detail about where some of the ideas come from. At times when I can't sleep and I'm laying down in bed, i'll get visuals when I close my eyes. The visuals are perfect too, like master abstract works. I try to tap into that lake of creativity every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment